Pages

9.7.20

KITCHEN SINK DRAMAS - 3 stories in 100 words each

KITCHEN SINK DRAMAS

This week's photograph prompted three stories, two of them also inspired by a friend's recent experience of the strain lockdown can put on relationships. I hope none of them are too close to home for any of my readers.
......................................................

KITCHEN SINK DRAMA 1

“I really don’t understand why you did it, after all these years.”
“That’s just it – years of the same irritating little things are like Chinese water torture, drip-drip-dripping until you could scream. At breakfast, for example, leaving the lid off the marmalade, toast crumbs in the butter...”
“I agree that’s annoying, but...”
“Dirty socks on the floor, changing channels without asking...”
“My Jim does that too, but even so...”
“He promised to fix the tap months ago. I was making pastry with that drip getting louder and louder – it was just his bad luck I was holding the rolling pin.”
................................................................................................
KITCHEN SINK DRAMA 2

Molly looked at Sadie in horror. “You’ll have to get married.”
“What – and spend my life chained to the kitchen sink? No way!”
“In my day nice girls saved themselves.”
“We’re not in the Dark Ages now, Mum.”
“Have you told him?”
“Yes – he wants us to get married, but I turned him down. He did this on purpose because I want a career.” Sadie’s voice softened. “It’ll be okay, Mum – you’ll get your grandchild, just not the mother-of-the-bride hat.”
Molly’s eyes strayed to the cupboard where she kept her knitting patterns and Sadie knew she was weakening.
....................................................................................
 KITCHEN SINK DRAMA 3

Belinda put his plate in front of Dennis – three bacon rashers exactly in line with two perfectly-browned sausages, crisp fried bread cut into meticulous triangles, the egg trimmed to a neat circle. She poured his tea and started the washing up – Dennis hated eating with used pans in sight.

His shout startled her, “This is dirty!” and a knife whizzed past her head to land in the bowl, cutting her hand. A bubble of rage burst in Belinda’s chest and, without conscious thought, she threw it back, watching with detached interest its slow-motion flight towards her husband.
 ..........................................................................................................................

So there you have it, folks! My first impression of the photo was that it was of my own kitchen, but in fact it has more cupboards than mine, and any resemblance to my own home life is purely accidental. Thank you if you have read all three - feel free to state a preference - and apologies to Rochelle for breaking the 100 word rule - I don't do it often. :)


32 comments:

  1. I normally would only have read one on principal, but the first was so good I couldn't stop and I really enjoyed all three. :)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I could have done three separate blogs, as the link allows one to do that, but my time was limited!

      Delete
  2. The stories of violence are probably closest to the mark, but the middle on tickled me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. I guess many people have contemplated violence in the past months!

      Delete
  3. I liked number 2 - the clash of generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do say there'll be a rash of lockdown babies next year!

      Delete
  4. you gave us a special treat this week. three's better one. thanks for the stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for calling it a treat, Plaridel.

      Delete
  5. A nice little series, Lizy. Cutting like a knife...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed all 3 and love that each story unfolded at the very same spot in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Doodle - that's the fun of FF, making the story fit the prompt.

      Delete
  7. Three believable stories that were quite entertaining, Liz. Extreme circumstances breed extreme responses. I like the one about the baby and loved how the daughter watched where her mother's eyes went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Jade. I don't always write murderer and mayhem!

      Delete
  8. All fab, Liz. The tension was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! And glad you've sorted out how to comment X

      Delete
  9. My favorites are one and three. I am glad my experience of confinement has not been as grim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're my favourites too, Gabriella - parhaps because they reflect my emotions on some occasions!

      Delete
  10. Triple dipping when each story is so good gets a passing grade from me. All unique and all so good! I hope her aim was good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale. She didn't aim at all, so it's in the hands of Fate now!

      Delete
  11. Dear Liz,

    Loved em all. I hope the knife hit the husband in Drama #3

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the first one best. Nice twist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked all three. All different, yet each one offering its own drama. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was aiming for, so thank you.

      Delete
  14. Loved all three :) Each holding up a mirror to a different woman's life.
    - Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm seriously impressed. Not one but three for the price of one. I really liked the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra - that's my favourite too!

      Delete
  16. A three-in-one treat for the readers. I liked them all.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!