Pages

14.6.18

JILTED - a story in a hundred words


JILTED

See that dress on the line? That’s my dream in tatters.
I shouldn’t have fallen for Hank, of course, but there’s a shortage of single men round here, and when he breezed into the bar, all tan and drawl, I was smitten.

Out in the cornfield he kissed me till I melted like butter in the sun. He came to supper, spoke respectful to Pa, charmed Momma, talked about settling down hereabouts, and we set a date.

He didn’t show.

When the dress is dry I’ll put it away in tissue paper.
You never know – I might need it again.


..........................................................................................................
Yes, I know it's probably a bird, but I saw a dress blowing in the breeze. If you follow the Blue Frog link from https://rochellewisoff.com/  you will discover what other writers thought they saw.
Thanks to Jean L Hayes for the photograph and to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers, for whom I have written 100 word stories for at least four years - that's the equivalent of a novella!

Which brings me to the book I have actually written - A Volcanic Race - which is available on Amazon in print at the bargain price of £6.39 - or as an ebook. Click on the cover at the top of this page to follow the link to Amazon.

That's after you've left a comment here, naturally :)

33 comments:

  1. Sad story - but beautifully done. I loved the voice - very authentic - especially liked the phrase: all tan and drawl.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I suspect I might be susceptible to the same !

      Delete
  2. Dear Liz,

    What was it about this photo that made us both see wedding? Yes, it is a bird, but then, it's all about what you see not what you look at. ;) Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I could refer to that saying about great minds, but it's more likely to be the lace!

      Delete
  3. Something of saving your wedding clothes make me think of Miss Havisham ... but as long as there is no wedding cakes around I think she can hope for another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully and wistfully written

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cad! All he wanted was a kiss and a free supper!

    Click to read my FriFic tale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I don't think your heroine was devastated by her jilting. Better luck next time! I like the way you capture the matter-of-fact manner of your main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's certainly looking forward. Thanks Penny.

      Delete
  7. I admire her resolve to look to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.seaviewwarrenpoint.wordpess.com14/06/2018, 20:57

    Loved this, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love her positive spirit. a better man will come along for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so - and I hope next time she'll be more careful!

      Delete
  10. Wow, that was a unique take. And what great spirit of the girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see the dress on the line, gently moving in a breeze, then smell the fabric warmed by the sun. There's hope for this girl if she's willing to keep that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can see it too, Alicia, and thanks.

      Delete
  12. ah, how sad. But at least she hasn't given up. I hope a truly good man comes her way, and she has joy in wearing the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is certainly open to that happening, which is preferable to being bitter and twisted.

      Delete
  13. Beware a man who is all tan and drawl. I like that you saw a dress. And I like the uplifting end. I hope the next one who melts her heart will be worthy of her. Jilly, Sugar on the Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't give herself time to get to know him - let's hope she's learned her lesson.

      Delete
  14. What a schmuck! Though...she was a bit quick on the wanting a date... which he should not have agreed to. Still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still. Such a small word that sums it up beautifully. She shouldn't have ... he shouldn't have ... but still.

      Delete
  15. Hank, you nasty fellow. He got his kiss and his supper and then moved on. Loved your last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!