Pages

27.4.17

BEST FRIENDS - flash fiction

BEST  FRIENDS

Richard and Tony were brothers who, with their neighbour Maggie, were a solid threesome all through school.
In their teens they went dancing together, drank cappuccinos and pooled their money to share bowls of spaghetti. Best friends – until Maggie married Richard. 
Tony was devastated. 
“I loved you ever since school.”
“Don’t be childish,” Maggie scolded, but he never gave up trying.

Over the years Maggie fended off Tony's many attempts to seduce her, hiding his brother’s disloyalty from her husband.
Then Richard died and she was finally able to eject Tony from the house, saying frostily, “Don’t come back till Hell freezes over.”
..........................................................................................
Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers from her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/  You can follow the link from there to read other writers' stories.
A second thank you to Rochelle for using one of my photos for this week's prompt. A few months ago I awoke to a beautiful frosty, misty morning and went out with my camera, ending up in our churchyard. The teasels were particularly eyecatching with every detail outlined in white crystals.

TWO MORE STORIES!  A friend suggested I write two more stories from the points of view of the men in this one. If you would like to read them, click on my home page to find my post for Friday 28th.

34 comments:

  1. I guess he never stood a chance at all... I kind of feel bad for poor Tony!
    Thanks for the great photo, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tONY SHOULD HAVE ACCEPTED HER DECISION DECADES EARLIER, POOR MAN!

      Delete
  2. Chilling!

    Might be nice to write it from the other two characters' POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - it might - maybe the right prompt will surface one day.

      Delete
  3. A lifetime of deception and forebearance in 100 words. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A waste of one life, in my view. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  4. What a terrific triangle. I guess it surprised Tony, but in reality I think he deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He set himself up to be shot down in flames. Hope your eyes are recovering, Bjorn.

      Delete
  5. Poor Tony, what a wasted life. Nice photo - you're garden?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my garden, Iain - not with gravestones! Our local church last winter.

      Delete
  6. Oh! I'll bet she was glad to jettison Tony! Thanks for a wonderful picture prompt this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she was - he was a real creep.

      Delete
  7. Your story echoes so many people's lives. She finally had her freedom!💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, though it was a long time coming.

      Delete
  8. Wow Tony was persistent! Some men can't take no for an answer hey. I like this different take on the prompt. (i.e. not chilling or eerie) Thank you for the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the two follow-up stories and you might change your mind.

      Delete
  9. Dear Liz,

    I hope that Tony realized how foolishly he wasted his life. Good one! And thank you for the beautiful photo.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you've read my other two stories you will know how Tony reacted!

      Delete
    2. I look forward to reading them!

      Delete
  10. That Maggie must have been some dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She must - thanks for visiting, Russell.

      Delete
  11. She's a very patient woman. And the brother... what a piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good story and probably true in a few women's lives over time. Now Tony had what I'd call a major obssession! Good thing she was able to get away from that awful situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read my other two stories? She'll be fine as long as she doesn't drink the wine.

      Delete
  13. It hurts man's ego to accept no.Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man's ego shouldn't lead him to fratricide!

      Delete
  14. I'm thinking he could've done with being ejected a bit sooner! I guess she couldn't without explaining to her husband - quite a sacrifice she made, having to put up with it all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have slung him out AND told my husband why, but not everyone is that assertive!

      Delete
  15. Lovely story. The characters have been brought out well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheesh, talk about denial! I hope he finally tried to find a woman who loved him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read the other two sides of the triangle, Dawn, you might think he doesn't deserve one.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!