Pages

3.3.16

DIAMONDS - a 100 word story

One advantage of writing flash fiction is that sometimes one can wake up with an idea, let it simmer while doing the weekly shop, and then write it in the time it takes to drink a coffee.
As I did this morning.
Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog  https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/
and to  Sean Fallon for the photograph that prompted this week's story. I hope you enjoy it - please leave a comment before moving on :)

DIAMONDS

Sango was terrified of the dark, but mining was the only employment available – he had no choice.

After a year of desperate saving he bought a head torch, which helped, but he was still afraid. Because his light found diamonds where others failed, the guards looked indulgently on the spare batteries he always carried.

Then one evening Sango endured the usual body search, left the mine, and kept on walking. Many days later, he removed the end of one battery and tipped its contents into a dealer’s hand.

He bought a plot of land with the proceeds and grew vegetables.
                                       .....................................


30 comments:

  1. Brilliant Lizy - if you'll forgive the pun.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed at such an unexpected interpretation of a potentially boring photo of a bottle of batteries! Well done, Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, but batteries are so useful that it left the field wide open.

      Delete
  3. Great take on the prompt Liz. You certainly find unique angles to these prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - I clearly hace a very twisted mind!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I LOVE this story. It's perfect. And if you wrote it into a longer story, and sold it to a movie company, you could retire. Seriously. It's totally brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vijaya - I am retired already but the money would help!

      Delete
  5. Good story using the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. The story unfolded beautifully to a most satisfying ending. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks margirene - I wish my novel was as easy to write as this was!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I wonder how far back he was planning that - which came first, the batteries or the idea?

      Delete
  8. The last line made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to start your weekend off cheerfully, Dawn!

      Delete
  9. he was lucky not to get caught. he was wise to quit while he was still ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on both counts, plandel.

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    Dare I say, an enlightening piece? Clever take on the prompt.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you get away with that as it's you!

      Delete
  11. I love it. Great idea, and hooray for Sango.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His patience and ingenuity were rewarded.

      Delete
  12. Your mind with its imagination worked overtime on that story, Liz. With your descriptions I could see it happening. Well done. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh there are thieves I really love when they succeed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, and he used his loot wisely.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  14. Hi, new follower here! :) I loved this, very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WritingNut - welcome to the small, select band of my regular readers! I'm glad you liked the story, and hope you've scrolled back through some others?

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post. pendants

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!