Pages

21.1.16

THE CLEANER - a 100 word story

THE  CLEANER

Nobody laid a finger on the clavichord after Charlotte’s accident, and when Sir Richard opened the house to the public the instrument was imprisoned behind posts and silken ropes. It languished forgotten, yearning for the past glory of its parlour days. 
Each year its soul died a little.

Then Leo joined the cleaning staff. A cheerful lad, he tended the antiques wielding his polishing cloths and loving everything equally - until one evening sunset turned the clavichord to gold. 
Glancing round guiltily, Leo lifted the lid, and as music flowed out into the empty room the clavichord’s soul sang again.
...................................................................................................
I wish I had room in my home for this beautiful little instrument - there's even space for a glass of wine to one side!  This photo comes courtesy of Jan W Fields, and was posted on this blog https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/ as a prompt for Friday Fictioneers - an online group of roughly a hundred writers worldwide who use the weekly prompt to write 100-word stories.
This is not as easy as you might think - follow the blue frog trail from Rochelle's site to read some other stories. After you've commented on mine, of course!

28 comments:

  1. Musical instruments are meant to be played, not displayed - imprisoned is a great choice of words. I love the happy ending you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got my point perfectly, Annalisa - thank you!

      Delete
  2. Lovely tale. I look forward to coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liz,

    All I can do is add my voice and tell you what a lovely story you've written. Golden, simply golden.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is another thank you, Rochelle!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Keith - I had an Uncle Keith so I'd better pop over to see yours!

      Delete
  5. Lovely story, Liz.

    Coincidentally I'm also writing something about a musical instrument which hasn't been played for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be something in the TB vibes, Patsy! I bet yours is longer than mine, though.

      Delete
  6. I love this. There is something so tragic about a silent instrument.. And it doesn't matter who plays it - it has to be played

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - the clavichord in the photo looks as if it's in a museum.

      Delete
  7. I must echo Bjorn's remarks. We gave away an altar from a defunct Masonic Lodge yesterday. It was sitting in a damp basement. Soon it will be cleaned, polished, and become a cherished piece of furniture in this man's office. I'm sure the old altar is rejoicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Like musical instruments, wood needs to be loved. My other half had a Chinese altar we couldn't take abroad so we hired a car and drove it hundreds of miles, and on a ferry, to give to his son.

      Delete
  8. At least Leo doesn't play ABBA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see no reason why he shouldn't, even on a clavichord!

      Delete
  9. That's such a lovely, uplifting story. I agree on everything wood, it needs to be loved and treated as a living thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own a chunk of tree liberated from a woodpile that looks like a fairy mountain.

      Delete
  10. Lovely story, Liz. It's so romantic. It turns to gold. I love that. I wish I could have one of these, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you play, Amy? I only reached Grade 2 piano, a very long time ago!

      Delete
  11. Hooray for Leo! Lovely story, and beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margirene - Leo knows when an instrument needs playing.

      Delete
  12. Lovely story. It rings a bell and reminds me of the philosophy that even the non living things are like living in some dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yarnspinner. Musical instruments are particularly resonant, I think.

      Delete
  13. Great flash fiction which makes me feel bad for not playing my instrument as much as I should do.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!