Pages

5.4.13

EAGLES AND EARTHQUAKES


   EAGLE – this was the symbol of THE ENEMY in 1940 - the Germans, who were naȉvely presumed to have been soundly thrashed in the First War. 

The thought that another generation of young men had to fight and die was horrific to their parents, yet the sound of a military band was enough to stir the heart of EDDIE, Bert’s younger brother, who volunteered and joined the army with him and Albie in my novel Helter-Skelter.
EIGHTEEN was officially old enough to fight, but Eddie was horribly homesick, with potentially disastrous results.
Can Albie's quick thinking and inherited instincts save him?



EL HIERRO is the smallest of the Canary Islands but, seismically speaking, the most active. In October 2011 an eruption started just off the south coast, forcing one entire village (La Restinga) to be evacuated due to toxic fumes and rocks exploding from the sea. It quietened down after a few months, but recently there has been a series of EASRTHQUAKES, including one of 4.9. 
The rash in the sea in this picture shows where they occurred. El Hierro is small enough to drive round in a morning - anyone fancy a holiday?

9 comments:

  1. You've posted an interesting assortment of E words. Don't forget that the eagle is a proud and awe-inspiring bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting post...Wow, about the islands...(I am so articulate this morning!) HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francene - that's why the Germans chose the Eagle, I assume. It's only history that casts a slur on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course there is the American Eagle and the Eagle one often sees fronting a lecturn in Anglican Churches. The Eagle in ornithologigal terms is a majestic bird particularly the Scottish Golden Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eagles are majestic birds, predators, and also scavengers.

    My hubby and I were just talking about the Canary Islands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching an eagle is just amazing. What wonderful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love watching those eagles fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have mentioned earthquakes - mobdy mentioned the rest of my post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment - I'm sorry the captcha was on - I thought I'd turned it off years ago but it must have been turned back on somehow. Believe me, it wasn't intentional. I tried emailing you back but your email is set to no reply.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!