Pages

4.12.19

NIGHT BUS - a story in a hundred words

This week's Friday Fictioneers image reminded me instantly of a story I wrote three years ago, so I adapted it to use again. I have a busy few days coming up so I hope you will forgive the repetition!


NIGHT BUS

After Dave vanished, George was alone and scared – rough sleeping was dangerous. He was huddled in his doorway when a bus stopped and a voice called, “Free ride, mate?”
Bright lights obscured its destination but George stepped aboard into welcoming warmth. The door snapped shut, leaving his belongings outside, but Dave emerged from the misty interior and handed him a bottle. “Wondered when you’d be along.”
George drank deep, tasting strange flavours. “Have you been here all this time?”
“All what time?” Dave’s voice was vague, his eyes empty.
George turned to get off, but the bus was already moving.
...............................................................................................

30 comments:

  1. Wonderfully mysterious. I'm betting that's a trans-dimensional bus

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad story, especially for this time of year. A t least he was reunited with Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that, but where are they headed?

      Delete
  3. The ride might be ok, but I sure don't want to reach that destination... but then, I guess he will be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will this end well? Maybe, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave's empty eyes don't bode well for the future. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a Tardis with a fully stocked bar.... of zombifying drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He has been lulled by the heat and the beverage... now we need to worry where they end up.
    I sure don't mind the supposed repetition ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale. Dave seems happy enough but George isn't so sure.

      Delete
  8. It's not looking good for either of them. I'm hoping they're on their way to a better place, but it doesn't seem so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My interpretation is that they have both died. But somehow it's not sad because they are embarking on a new journey together. Nicely done, and I don't think it matters at all that you've reworked an old story - I do it all the time! :)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your interpretation occurred to me too, Susan, but in fact I have never decided on an ending.

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    The question i have is who actually disappeared? Mysterious. Not to worry about reruns. I'll be posting some with the impending holidays upon us and a new novel in the works.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back story is that Dave simply vanished one night from his usual haunts, leaving George friendless. Then the bus picks up George later and they are reunited. Good luck with the novel.

      Delete
  11. he was obviously taken for a ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A mysterious tale which makes me wonder where the bus was headed and what happened to Dave in his absence. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would appear Dave was quite content with whatever happened.

      Delete
  13. An intriguing tale which has several possible interpretations. I'd ike to think it was a happy ending but I'm not so sure.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think he's ever getting off.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!