Pages

20.11.19

IN STORAGE - a story in 100 words


IN STORAGE

My family sold everything to send me abroad, where the agent promised I would earn good wages, a hundred times more than was possible at home.
The lorry driver packed us into crates like chickens, where we took turns breathing through the air-hole, but when we felt the sea beneath us we were happy. We heard English voices as a fork-lift moved our crates, then others were placed around us, more above us, we heard metal shutters closing, then silence.
My phone is dying, so this is my final message.
Tell my family I’m sorry.
...................................................................................
J Hardy Carroll's photo might be of a simple storage facility, but to me it looks sinister. Whenever I see images of those enormous ships with containers stacked high on deck, I wonder how many poor deluded souls are hidden inside one. I am inflicted with too much imagination! Thanks as ever to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/

29 comments:

  1. The horror of treating human cargo with less regard than if they were animals is still just as sickening as it was during slavery. They ARE slaves. There should be more of an outcry.

    You wrote this with a great deal of sensitivity and empathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The tragedies of the freezer truck and Morecambe Bay still haunt me.

      Delete
  2. Well written. Human trafficking is beyond horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liz,

    This sounds like the Vietnamese refugees who were found dead in the back of the truck. Horrible. A very timely piece in any event. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. All too real, taken from the headlines in the news recently - and then the daft politics of an election come along and it is forgotten about and nothing changes. Powerful story Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politics have always been daft, but even such appalling tragedies are overtaken by other news.

      Delete
  5. That gave me the shudders - so sad in light of the recent horrific reality.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me shudder too just imagining it. Thanks Susan.

      Delete
  6. Terribly story, with echoes of fact after the news of a few weeks ago in Britain. We will never know how many people die this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last bit got to me, Liz. Such a crushed hope and inhumane ending. I hope she found a way out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas, the realities of human trafficking and human cargo and modern day slavery are all too real. Thank you for this portrayal of what many may want to think does not happen. Yet does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my God that just came and pulled my guts out.
    Fabulous write, Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellently written story of a horribly sad tale that unfortunately could be a true one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst part - that it could be true.

      Delete
  11. it's the luck of the draw. who knows? perhaps s/he will make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The luck of the draw - that's exactly what the people trafficker said when interviewed. So callous.

      Delete
  12. A tale of our times and one that resonates with me living as I do near a channel port.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you actually seen things happening? We saw boatloads of Africans arrive a few times when we lived in Tenerife.

      Delete
  13. This is terrifying and even made worse because it's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh...jeez this is to close to possible...got me right in the feels :(

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!