Pages

22.2.18

LAST MAN STANDING


LAST MAN STANDING

When the plague struck I somehow escaped contagion. On my first foray into town for food I didn’t see one adult alive, but I acquired a small tribe of feral children.

Suddenly my cottage wasn’t big enough so we moved to this farm. We have fruit and vegetables to pick, horses to pull the machinery, and space to recover. Each time we hit town for clothes, tools and seeds – always seeds – more children creep out of the undergrowth to join us.

What we need now is books and a teacher – preferably young and female – then it will be perfect.
..................................................................................
WRITTEN IN A RUSH BEFORE MY GRANDDAUGHTER ARRIVES FOR HER FIRST EVER SLEEP-OVER - WITH ME LUCK!  Apologies for the capitals :) Thanks to Rochelle https://rochellewisoff.com/   for hosting Friday Fictioneers and to Marie for the photo that almost - but not quite - had me stumped!



32 comments:

  1. Poor man definitely needs an adult companion! I wonder how your mind went from that flower to that story? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he gets to have his perfect life. Some plagues work out for people after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going about it the right way, adopting stray children.

      Delete
  3. Excellent story, particularly if you wrote it in a rush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neil. This week has been a madhouse!

      Delete
  4. There are times when a simpler life and a lot less people sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of the Pied Piper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except the Pied Piper wasn't nearly so nice!

      Delete
  6. Reminded me of The Day of the Triffids. Nicely done, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shows what traps we fall into when in a rush!

      Delete
  7. There has to be one woman who also survived! Hopefully they meet soon... though not to make more kids ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a new baby will complete their family!

      Delete
  8. Lovely story, Liz. I loved the last line.
    Best wishes...
    Moon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,

    Here's hoping he finds just the right teacher. Clever story. Well written.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He deserves a break. Thanks Rochelle.

      Delete
  10. You paint an (almost) idyllic picture. I hope your main character finds a young, female teacher to be his wife.
    BTW I hope the sleepover went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleepover was lovely. Millie's mummy was a little miffed that she didn't miss her more!

      Delete
  11. when i read plague, i told to myself, there's it goes again. but then it ended in hope. what a relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you made the main character male, and that he has a good heart, and a longing. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many men have the parenting instinct too.

      Delete
  13. Lovely story, for a dooms day story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful story. I didn't realize your main character was male until the last line :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somehow I can imagine this happening... the concept of feral children after the plague is disturbing... maybe a grown up can prevent the narrative of "the lord of the flies"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing his bit though he can't rescue them all.

      Delete
  16. I hope a post-apocalyptic love story is headed his way! Inventive take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!