Pages

17.4.13

OMNISCIENT ORANGES?


OMNISCIENT PERSPECTIVE.
When an agent said I “handled the omniscient perspective well”, my early grounding in Latin popped its head up: Omni = all, and Scient = thinking was my guess, which didn’t get me very far, so I looked it up.
According to my dictionary, omniscient means “having infinite knowledge or understanding” and perspective means “a way of regarding situations”.
Um – still no wiser – so back to her email where, by putting OP into the context of her subsequent remarks, I worked out that I think she means “telling the story from more than one character’s viewpoint."
It’s nice to know I’m doing it right, whatever it is, but I could use a Dictionary of OBSCURE LITERARY TERMS.
<sigh>

ORANGES AND LEMONS
No, I am not going to embroil you in a childish game, so don't run away!
I eat an orange every morning, and the local ones are just the right size to cut into six wedges and eat from the skin – leaning over the sink because there is a bit of inelegant slurping in the process.
Distilled sunshine - dleicious!




And the lemons? We were given a bag of lemons straight off the tree this week, so I made lemon curd. The best and easiest recipe I have ever seen is from a handwritten recipe book we found when the OH’s mother died.

See my recipe page on the right if you want to try it for yourself, but if you use shop-bought lemons, wash them well first to get rid of the wax the importers coat them with.

11 comments:

  1. Tell your English, Lemon Curd most gastly stuff, can't stand the stuff. Mind you I'm envious of the fresh oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon curd makes a very good substitute for jam in Bakewell tart. (But no icing sugar. Please, no icing sugar.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like lemons very much. Lemon Curd is one of my favorite foods.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for nailing the omniscient perspective - it's easy when you know how, and something that comes naturally should be encouraged because it's always going to be better than forcing yourself into a single perspective if you hate writing like that.

    Are the oranges fresh from a tree? Oh please tell me they are...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four votes to one in favour of lemon curd - sorry Bill!
    Annalisa -we buy the oranges every week from a local growers market - freshly picked, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Change that to five votes for lemon curd. I like anything lemon.

    Visiting from the A-Z challenge.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lemon curd, but can't eat much of it - hypoglycemic. Sigh. The omniscient perspective is my favorite kind of read, so yeah that you write it! I'm trying to do it for my novel, but who knows if I'll nail it. But why not write what you like to read, right?
    Just hopping around the list,
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be checking out your lemon curd recipe, Lizy. Top favourite with OH. How well does it keep ( if you give it a chance?)
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting !
    never heard of a lemon curd recipe
    Shud try it some time :D
    we dont get awesome oranges or lemons but will try


    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post has me feeling like I want to throw a challenge out there to myself...can I use the word "omniscient" in an every day sentence today?!!

    http://www.mydestinationunknown.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. To aw - Ann - the lemon curd only keeps for a few weeks and it must be in the fridge. You can always make half the recipe, or share it with friends, of course. But be warned - your OH will never eat the bought stuff again!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!