Pages

13.10.21

ASSUMPTIONS

 


ASSUMPTIONS

Eighty per-cent of the passengers on Trudi’s coach tour were well past pension age. “Don’t forget which is your bus!” she said, helping them down the steps, but Gerry had painted it with forgetful elderly clients in mind.

Trudi relaxed in a cafė, confident they could come to no harm in the sleepy French town – they were old, after all!

 An hour later she had to help several bandy-legged customers off the carousel horses, winkle five inebriated gentlemen out of a bar, and prise one protesting lady from the arms of a young Lothario.

 Moral – never make assumptions about the elderly!

..........................................................................................

Having just read that 65-79 is the new middle-age, I still squeak into that category, though my Lothario days are over - unless, of course....

I've been absent from Friday Fictioneers since August, dealing with stuff that's stopped me writing anything except the occasional tweet - namely the illness and unexpected death of my husband. He had dementia, but when he went into hospital with an infection we fully expected him to come home. Unfortunately the doctors found he also had cancer, and within ten days he was gone. A shock to us all, but he did save himself from the pain that cancer can inflict - he died before it had begun to trouble him.

Don liked colour and loved wearing bright clothes, so at his funeral people wore their brightest outfits. When I saw this week's photo prompt, I thought how much he would have loved that bus - it would have made a splendid hearse!

I also took it as a sign that now I am alone, I should get on with promoting my latest book, Carousel, a link to which you can find at the top of this page! 


41 comments:

  1. The best of whatever I've read so far today.

    Wishing you all the best for your book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure the inebriated or besotted clients would have thanked her. And please accept my condolences for your loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably didn't, but they'd have been pissed off if she'd left them behind!

      Delete
  3. People should never try to stay young. That's unrealistic an immature. I'm so happy to see though that these characters can enjoy such an exceptionally fab time of things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just having fun - there are no rules to say fun is limited to the young.

      Delete
  4. So sorry for your loss and all the challenges associated. I'm glad you found your way back to writing. That bus would make an incredible hearse, but I love what you did with it in your story too. Never underestimate the old folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They certainly sound like a lively bunch! I almost feel sorry for the coach driver, it'll be a lively trip home!

    I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences, Liz, you're going through a rough time. Glad to see you've made it through with your sense of humor intact. This one had me laughing out loud.
    pax,
    dora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elderly also have a right to live the way they please & enjoy the moment!
    This is a fun group! Organizers have a lot of work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! By 'organisers' I guess you mean Rochelle? I think she does it all!

      Delete
  8. Soory for your loss. Having been a "walk-on local guide" for bus tours, I could have warned Trudi! All the best with your book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know never to take people at face value, whatever their age!

      Delete
  9. Oh, that was a fun story. I enjoyed the choice of words, more Brit than Yank of course. Sorry to read of your loss, but good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. As a Brit I don't always consider that Yanks might not understand what I write!

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    Old doesn't mean dead, does it? Your story made me smile. Heartfelt condolences for your loss.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old simply means experienced, in my book!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 65-79? In that case, I have five more years of middle age :). Love the story. That tour guide deserves a medal. Older is NOT always wiser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have three to go before I reach the end of middle-aged. Then I will be mature!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful, fun story. I never quite understood why fun should stop when you're 'advanced middle aged'.
    I'm sorry for your loss, Liz. I love the approach with the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry. There were red jackets, yellow waistcoats, his son wore a check shirt - a church full of colour, a pub full of chatter and cheer. He'd have been p****d at missing a good party.

      Delete
  14. Great story, had me snickering, and I love the last line (never make assumptions about the elderly!). I’m sorry to hear of your loss. What a wonderful way to remember him, dressed in bright colors! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. I'm hoping writing will help to fill the gap.

      Delete
  15. I love your attitude, Liz. And no, one should never underestimate the mature ;-) They are the most willing to have fun! As do you and and as did Don. I love that everyone dressed brightly for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don will have been pleased to see the colours, and that when we walked behind the hearse to the church he caused a traffic jam containing several 4x4s!

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed your story and the information about the seasoned among us. Your story does them justice.

    Liz, let me offer you condolences on the passing of your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade. I've never heard us referred to as seasoned before!

      Delete
  17. Thanks Liz for the compassionate tale.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for your loss, Liz. Such a shock for you. I was pleased to hear about your book, and that you seem to be picking up the reins again. Lovely story..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. Picking up the reins is a welcome break from the other paperwork that a death generates!

      Delete
  19. This was a delightful read, Liz. Love the moral of the story. Even the elderly can get into mischief. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. May he rest in peace.

    Notes to Women

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!