Pages

4.11.20

LAS GALLETAS

This photograph takes me back to Las Galletas, the seaside village in Tenerife where we did our shopping for fifteen years. 

The bricks cut from volcanic rock, the rough slabs underfoot - even the icecream adverts and boxes of oranges are the same.

We sat in a shaded street just like this one for coffee, admiring the plants on a house opposite, sheltering in the shade from the fierce sun that eventually drove us back to England.



Thanks to Rochelle for the photo which evoked some happy memories. To read fiction from other members of Friday Fictioneers, go to her blog and click on the frog!  https://rochellewisoff.com/
The rock from which those bricks were hewn is only one variety out of hundreds, and that inspired me to write my Living Rock books, so our time in Tenerife wasn't wasted.
Click on the link to read the first book, A Volcanic Race, or go direct to Amazon for more.


 

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I would love to visit again, but have no desire to return permanently.

      Delete
  2. We lived in Spain for a while. The sun can be relentless, can't it? And yet...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more so in the Canaries, which are level with Africa. A fortnight would be bearable, though!

      Delete
  3. Remember when we could go on holiday to sunny places? Those were the days! Nice memories Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a pretty decent summer here, I recall.

      Delete
  4. I love your photo! And your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liz,

    Lovely descriptions and photo.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the memory, as the song says!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful plants! It's fun when a photo takes us back to a lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elderly couple tended those plants lovingly.

      Delete
  7. This is so funny... I was reading your story, thinking it was the intro to your story! Wonderful memories, Liz and beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I had that memory in my head, Dale, I couldn't think of fiction!

      Delete
  8. Loved reading this. Although I lived in Spain for quite a few years, the photo didn't trigger anything for me. Hopefully my imagination will be stimulated next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spain doesn't have the volcanic rock of Tenerife, where breeze-block sized bricks are cut directly from the lava.

      Delete
  9. I loved the picture with the hanging plants. Ah the memories you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What delightful memories, but you can have too much sunshine. One of things I love about England is our unpredictable weather!

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Keith, which was one reason for our return. The other reasons were family!

      Delete
  11. some place are fun to visit indeed but not to stay permanently. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to visit a few more before I'm done!

      Delete
  12. I doubt I'd be able to handle the blazing hot sun for 15 minutes let alone years :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some years we had no rain at all.

      Delete
  13. Sounds heavenly, even the heat given the ominous winter that's been predicted over here on the east coast. Thanks, Liz, for this snapshot of your days in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ominous? As in storms and hurricanes? Stay safe.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!