Pages

19.8.20

MY GRANDPARENTS' HOUSE

 


MY GRANDPARENTS’ HOUSE

I have no conscious memory of the house in Victor Harbour where my grandparents lived. Mum tells stories of her brothers sleeping on the veranda, and of me crawling out of the garden one afternoon and being found, after a frantic search, eating fallen kumquats next door.

 But after forty years in England I flew back, and as the perfume of eucalyptus assailed my senses at Adelaide airport, I recognised the land of my birth.

And that house, with its cool inner hall and gingerbread-trimmed veranda, seemed familiar – or maybe that was just wishful thinking.

.........................................................................................................................

This week's image is so reminiscent of the house where my mother grew up that I couldn't write fiction - this piece is 100% autobiographical.

Thanks to Ted Strutz for the memory, and to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog. Welcome home, Rochelle - I hope your holiday was restful. X


45 comments:

  1. What a delicious blend of description and anecdote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Lizy. I can see her there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So could I when I saw it, second time around.

      Delete
  3. I love the uncertainty about whether she remembers or is just imagining

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Liz,

    A story that appeals to all the senses. Lovely.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    PS My holiday was wonderful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle, and glad to hear it!

      Delete
  5. Very easy to be "in the story" with you. Sometimes the true stories really are the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can simply imagine a small child eating fruit with great delight :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't eat a kumquat now with its skin on!

      Delete
  7. It felt like a biography while reading it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So enjoyable. The nostalgia just sweeps over you - great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely...a story that wraps its arms around you and holds tight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true how we can feel nostalgia for a past we never had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This past I did have, just no conscious memory of it.

      Delete
  11. Liz, nice to learn about your origins. I've heard the eucalyptus smell is what evokes a feeling a home. Glad you were able to go back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a month, staying with an elderly uncle. Enough to learn a little about my beginnings.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Just the once, unfortunately, as it's a long way to travel.

      Delete
  13. That must be such a lovely feeling. When I think of India I often think of the house my mother grew up in. :)
    Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
  14. A sensory delight, Lizy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely read, Liz. What a beautiful home to have in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Dale, though it changed hands long ago. My mother is 95, and she was the baby of her family, so my grandparents are long gone.

      Delete
  16. Great story and I'm so glad it was autobiographical - stepping foot on Australian soil after so long must have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. My life is in England, but I found a small piece of my soul there.

      Delete
  17. A lovely memory for you. The visit must have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely memory for you. The visit must have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful experience beautifully described. Thanks for sharing it with us Liz.


    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charming little story and an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. You often comment on my blog but I can't find yours to reciprocate 😒

      Delete
  21. I love how the scent was particularly effective to invoke the memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scent is apparently the most evocative.

      Delete
  22. A lovely piece, Liz - particularly since I know it is written from experience.

    marion

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!