Pages

18.6.20

WINDOWS - a story in 100 words


WINDOWS

     Looking out of this window I am twenty again, in my first flat, swallowing tears and trying not to admit I’m homesick to Dad, who is fixing my aerial. I might stay here all day.
Yesterday’s window was open to Mediterranean air, the rattle of palm leaves in the breeze and click of cicadas.
Tomorrow – who knows? As long as my memory still functions I can be anywhere I choose. Anywhere other than here.

I always imagined my last sight on this earth would be my children’s faces, not bare white walls, zigzag lines on a screen, and masked strangers.
.......................................................................................................
I'm still here, still fighting, still writing - though not as much as I should, but this pandemic seems to have frozen some of my brain! One bright note is that I am now in a bubble with my daughter and granddaughter, and was able yesterday to pick our five-year-old up from school, bring her home with me, and dig potatoes. Simple joys make life worth living.
This week's photo prompt took me to a darker place, somewhere I hope not to experience personally, but I know people who have been there.
Thanks to Rochelle for the photo and for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/

31 comments:

  1. Imagination can take us anywhere, can't it? It's glorious this gift we have. I guess it's helping her survive some not-so-ideal conditions.
    Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's helping her. Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  2. I read this as an ode to the power of imagination. It is a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done Lizy. I think more than a few people have indulged in siilar thoughts these last months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those in lockdown as well as dying alone in hospital. Thanks Sandra.

      Delete
  4. I hope she holds on. Good to hear that some joy is returning to life. We're a little behind but things are easing a bit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter returning to school was hugely significant in our family.

      Delete
  5. Love this, Lizy. A timely reminder that we can always fall back on our imagination when life gets tough.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. As writers we are blessed with more imagination than some. Not sure if that makes life easier or more fraught!

      Delete
  6. as everything else, this will pass. hopefully, soon enough for us to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a touching story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for imagination to stop us from going mad... I liked this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,

    An imagination is a wonderful thing to have. Without it where would we writers be? Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd be lost, that's for sure. I couldn't have faced this lockdown without my imagination to escape into.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one whose brain is a bit frozen by the pandemic. At least your character has her imagination to transport her to a happier time and place. I hope it helps her hang on. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. Hope your brain unfreezes soon!

      Delete
  11. It's funny how the little things in life give us the most joy when we are programmed to chase the big things.

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lockdown has taught us to value those little things. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  12. I was certain that this was true! So well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, for a lovely compliment.

      Delete
  13. Your story touched a tender spot for me. Two weeks ago, a dear friend died, alone, in her hospital room. She and her husband of over 50 years had not seen each other in five weeks. He had called her daily, and a nurse held the phone to her ear because, being on a ventilator, she could not speak. He learned of her death via a phone call from the hospital.

    This is a cruel world we're living in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to imagine how one would cope in such a situation and decided escape into one's imagination would be the only way. I am so sorry to learn your friend died that way, it must be very distressing for her husband and all her friends like you xx

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!