Pages

29.4.20

THE MATRIARCH - a story in 100 words


THE  MATRIARCH

Guiseppe surveyed the empty tables with a heavy heart. “If we can’t open again soon we’re finished! What will we pass down to our children?”
Maria sniffed. “What children? You are never at home to make any.”
As she flounced off, Guiseppe admired her beautifully rounded behind, the swing of her heavy black hair, and long-neglected need surged through his body. Perhaps lockdown wasn’t all bad, he thought, following her upstairs.

Weeks later Guiseppe set some of his tables out on the pavement, and Maria welcomed their returning customers with the contented smile of a matriarch.
.................................................................................................................
I am pleased I managed to write a positive story today! 
This has been a week of ups and downs - a granddaughter celebrating her birthday in lockdown in the Middle East, several days of wonderful warm sunshine followed by a day of pouring rain, family members feeling the strain while I am unable to help.
But I have also managed to put in a lot of time on my next book, the final one in my fantasy series - probably! I still have the idea for a follow-up simmering on a back burner, but Book 4 brings threads from the first three books together in a shattering climax. WATCH THIS SPACE!
If you haven't yet read the first three, now would be a good time to order them from Amazon, either in print or ebook format. A Volcanic Race, Wolf Pack and Landslide, by Liz Young.
Go on - make my day - buy them, read them, post a review! Please!

32 comments:

  1. One marriage that has benefited from the time spent together :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope they find time to make a whole tribe!

      Delete
  2. I wonder what the birth rate will be nine months from now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the midwives are already bracing themselves!

      Delete
  3. Predictions are for a Baby Boom surpassing post WWII figures, and it certainly seems logical :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a tie between birth rate and divorce rate.

      Delete
  4. Dear Liz,

    We'll see this winter if the predictions of a baby boom are correct. I, myself, wonder if there might not be a pandemic of divorce. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are of the same mind, Rochelle. Personally I have considered murder once or twice!

      Delete
  5. Something tells me Maria is not the only one who will be expecting Christmas babies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Dale, especially if there's as shortage of condoms! That's prophylactics on your side of the Pond, I believe 😁

      Delete
    2. It's condoms here too. Or "raincoats" ;-) No one uses such big terms unless they are professionals - as in doctors, not um... workers!

      Delete
  6. I suspect there could be a lot of this. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your story, Liz. After our War with Covid-19 is over, there will be a baby boom. Have no doubt about it. Right now people are limited in their choices at home: eating, drinking, drugging, and....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I enjoyed that! What's the betting there will be a baby boom? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could safely bet on that, Susan!

      Delete
  9. titles sound great!

    We lived in Iowa for a few years 1973,74 where I worked in medical records. There was an immense blizzard, people had to stay home/work/school for 3 day. 9 months later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only three days? They must be a romantic lot in Iowa 😍
      I hope my book titles have tempted you to buy!

      Delete
  10. i predict there'll be a population boom as a result of this pandemic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, and I think they'll do well.
    In every way!
    :)
    Good luck on the new writing project, too!
    :)
    Na'ama

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Guiseppe and Maria! And to you, Liz, for a well-written and upbeat story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! I love this story. It's my favorite this week. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A marriage saved, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly - at least it will be happier now.

      Delete
  15. Now they have all the reason in the world to get the restaurant moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how they must be feeling.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!