Pages

30.10.19

SHOPPING - a hundred word story


SHOPPING
Joan managed their pensions with an iron fist but, as she divided bargain mince into plastic boxes, Andrew ventured, “I’d love a steak sometimes.”
“I’d love a Caribbean holiday,” Joan snapped, slamming the freezer door. “Now where’s my purse?”
“How should I know? I’m not allowed to touch money.” Andrew sipped his coffee and watched her search her handbag and her pockets without success. “Did you open that window?” he asked.
“Yes – it’s stuffy in here.”
As the net curtains wafted in the breeze, Joan slumped into her chair – stolen! - even mince would be off the menu next week.
....................................................................................................................
I must admit that Joan has an element of me in her makeup, as I too buy food when it's on offer and freeze it in batches. So far - touch wood - I have not had my purse stolen!


This week has been a busy one so far, with various appointments already and more to come. As I have picked up a cold - I blame my granddaughter - I shall be driving to those under the influence of medication! The sore throat did not stop me from carving a pumpkin to display on my doorstep tomorrow. That's a home-grown Scotch bonnet chilli beside it  :) Happy Hallowe'en!

The photo that prompted this week's rash of stories in Friday Fictioneers was taken by Fatima Deria and posted by Rochelle on  https://rochellewisoff.com/

30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She shouldn't have left it by an open window.

      Delete
  2. My bet is Andrew has the purse

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet the husband has it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I am concerned, that is a wise way to run things, Liz!
    But leaving one's purse by an open window - how sad to have that happen in one's own hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hold the purse strings in my home too - we'd be permanently bbroke otherwise!

      Delete
  5. Just goes to show that even the most sensible people sometimes make errors. Hope they can eke out that mince! Great dialogue, Lizy.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they have enough in the freezer to last a fortnight!

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Run! You may be able to catch the thief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pensioner's legs aren't that agile, as i know all too well!

      Delete
  7. Gosh! She is super stressed compared to him, but of her own making I fear. It's hard to be the one to take charge of household budgets. Makes you feel like the bad guy. Great take on the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Liz,

    What a horrible place to be in. Well written dialogue.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pressure of counting those pennies. I fancy a holiday in the Caribbean too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was it Andrew, was it a passing thief, did it drop down behind a chair? I wonder!

    Here's my contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To save a bit food is sometimes a good idea... (and it might be good if you do it well)... so what's for dinner now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We spent a couple of weeks in England in July, and I finally know what mince is. Here in the States, we call it hamburger or ground beef :)

    Poor Joan. I feel sorry for her, although I think she's probably made a lot of her own problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being an international forum, there will be moments when UK and US are divided by their common language!

      Delete
  13. Hmm, mince and missing purse. Poor Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also think she should look in her husband's pockets. Seem as if he was sitting there while it 'disappeared'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the only one with a suspicious mind.

      Delete
  15. How terrible! I hope it is misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a chance that a stray wind blew it under the table, I suppose, but it's a slim chance!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!