Pages

20.6.19

DELAYED - a story in a hundred words


DELAYED

When my flight is seriously delayed, I phone Ellie.
She’s furious. “How could you? We’re meeting the vicar tomorrow!”
Her shrill voice carries to the woman beside me, who smiles sympathetically. “My boyfriend has to attend a business dinner alone – he thinks I’ve done it deliberately.”
The airline offers hotel rooms and we share dinner – I haven’t talked to Ellie for that long, ever.
We meet again at breakfast, share a cab back to the airport, and part on a promise – once the decks are cleared we’ll meet again.
We have so much more to say.
..............................................................................
Rochelle is the indefatigable woman who runs this weekly beanfeast and you can find her on  https://rochellewisoff.com/   if you follow the froggy link you can read scores of other stories prompted by her photograph.
I have been busy painting the door frames on my landing. It's a small cottage and the three doorframes, which comprise three sides of a square, have only an inch of wall between them. This makes positioning the drip sheet easy, but it's also easy to step back and smudge the paint, and oh! the repetetiveness of the task! Only the light shining on wet paint tells me where I've been and which is still waiting to be done.
Writing and gardening have filled my spare time :)
PS - I may be AWOL next week - we are off to Lisnaskea in Northern Ireland to visit my daughter.

30 comments:

  1. Perhaps it was delay that was meant to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely, Lizzy. So full of promise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this, Liz!
    A friendship was born through a situation out of their control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale - they didn't go looking for it, but it found them.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you find a good friend in unexpected situations. That was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met some lovely people this way too.

      Delete
  5. Nice when fate lends a hand that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Liz,

    Some situations create unexpected friendships. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your photo is most apposite this week - I just hope we don't face the same problems travelling to Belfast on Monday!

      Delete
  7. Perhaps it was fate? Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They clearly had an instant connection. Nice one.

    My FriFic tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good story with a happy ending, Liz. Well written. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope they each decide to break it off with their significant others before pursuing their newfound connection...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what clearing the decks means!

      Delete
  11. Delays can sometimes serve a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easy to visualize this situation. No one WANTS to be stranded by a delayed flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, linda, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  13. When your BF is controlling your life #hereissyoursign

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!