Pages

8.5.19

THUNDER OF WAR

Jean L Hayes's photograph for Friday Fictioneers looks like a war-ravaged landscape to me, and as I am in the throes of rewriting my next book, I am reprising a story I wrote four years ago that seems to fit the bill. 
Thanks to https://rochellewisoff.com/ for hosting Friday Fictioneers - if you follow the Blue Frog link from her blog you can read other stories.
I am also gardening, of course, and once I put that hat on I can be engrossed for hours!
...........................................
 THUNDER OF WAR

After months of hiding in the cellar, trembling at each explosion and venturing out only when driven by hunger, Shira crept away through the ruins.

Carrying her daughter through the broken timbers and glass shards, she dodged from shadow to shadow until they were in the fields.

They dropped flat every time a bomb fell, but when they reached the hills the sounds of war were mercifully distant.

Sheltered beneath a tree, they slept until woken by a crash directly overhead.
The child screamed, but Shira said soothingly, “Hush, it is only thunder. See, here comes the rain.”

27 comments:

  1. Lucky you getting the weather for gardening, still to arrive here. Good re-run, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been gardening between showers, Iain - where do you live?

      Delete
  2. I could see thunder being a problem for the rest of the kid's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elegantly constructed. They built them to last in those days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written. It's a tale many can relate to I'm sure.

    'Retribution', my short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith - the number of people whose lives will never be the same because of this idiocy called War.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done. there's a sense of relief towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweet ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was holding my breath reading this! Thank goodness they got away to safety.
    Wonderful write, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good story with great description, Liz. It fits today's news also. Well written,Liz. All the best with your present work in progress. ---- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,

    Well constructed story. I could almost hear the thunder.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle - we actually had thunder while I was on line!

      Delete
  10. A wonderful story, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You built the tension well and the ending was a relief. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely way to end the story with hope for a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a relief... I also saw war in the image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised - there's been far too much of it lately.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!