Pages

24.5.19

BLINDFOLD - a story in a hundred words


BLINDFOLD

Nobody wanted to play Cousin Gary’s stupid game, but as we hadn’t seen him for years we let him persuade us.
I should have stopped it when he held Susie a second too long while guiding her hand to pin the tail on the donkey, but I told myself not to be paranoid.
Then it was my turn. Blindfolded, I heard scuffling and a smothered gasp, but even then I didn’t guess, and finished my go before I removed Gary’s woollen scarf.
The expression on Susie’s face will haunt me to the grave.
.............................................................................
I am late on parade this week, due mostly to the lovely weather which has taken me out into the garden instead of sitting at my computer. Having inherited a neglected garden last summer, there is a lot to do. Protecting my spinach from the depradations of pigeons was this week's prioiry!


28 comments:

  1. That was really chilling, Liz! Well done.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Damn the Cousin Garys of the world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you can't leave us hanging like that! Well, yes, I guess you can :) Really well told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - one has to leave a lot to the Reader's imagination in flash stories!

      Delete
  4. A horrible scenario, and a hard scene to imagine how everyone reacted next. Well written Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you iain - I ducked out of writing the next scene!

      Delete
  5. Very dark. Sounds like one of those things that goes on for years, no-one knowing or telling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think Susie's mum put a stop to Cousin Gary's little games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cousin Gary needs to be welded into a cell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully before long he'll get what he deserves. A chilling tale indeed.

    My story - 'A stab in the dark'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gary needs to be taught that no means no! Good take on the prompt, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is creepy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Liz,

    There are too many cousin Garys out there. Disturbing story. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rochelle. I realised when writing it that i have used the theme before, so i must try to be more varied!

      Delete
  12. Well written and disturbing tale. The look on Susie's face is a great and powerful ending

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wondering where the adults were. Gary needs to be watched. He's starting young. Poor Susie. I hope she told her mother. A good story, Liz. Well written. ---- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. I imagined Gary as an adult, and as he'd been absent for some time the other adults were unaware of his proclivities.

      Delete
  14. Sickening... those cousins should be kept away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From now on they will be, preferably behind bars.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!