Pages

3.1.19

AGE IS A GLACIER


AGE IS A GLACIER

Age is as implacable as a glacier.
To a casual observer it can appear static at times, but take your eyes off it, even briefly, and the changes are obvious.
More cracks appear on the surface.
Random debris is absorbed, adding to its weight.
The sheer inexorability of it grinds to rubble anything that attempts to halt its progress.
Age is a glacier, moving relentlessly towards its inevitable conclusion.
.......................................................................
This week's photo, taken by Russell Gayer and posted as a prompt by Rochelle, plumbed the depths of my New Year gloom. I realise that yet another year has passed and I've only published three of the books that are already half-written. So my resolution for 2019 is to get a move on!
I will cheer up soon, I promise, especially if I make a few more sales. If you would care to buy one, click on the image at the top of the page for WOLF PACK, the second book in my Living Rock series. The first book, A VOLCANIC RACE, is also on Amazon, as is HELTER-SKELTER, a novel of historic fiction, under my full name Elizabeth Young.
And do, please, leave a review. Thank you XX

26 comments:

  1. Blimey, that was expertly executed with a very firm hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - you have started the cheering-up process already!

      Delete
  2. A bit gloomy indeed (aren't we all at this time of year), very well written though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no escaping it - I always feel it most in January, cold, dark and full of the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the poetic feel of it. one of the best this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing that it is almost a poem.

      Delete
  5. Dear Liz,

    As I watch myself aging I can't help but feel a bit gloomy at times. I still feel like a girl and then I look in that infernal mirror and it's all over. Well written piece in any event. Here's to a best selling year.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. True. Only inevitability of life is change. No matter how so ever slow it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need hotter bathwater – that steams up the mirror nicely so you don't notice the wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Climate change! That lets the glaciers recede and steams up mirrors nicely. :D Great story, Liz, thoughtful and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliantly done, Liz. How true it is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent metaphor... age also grinds the bedrock to silt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why didn't I think of that phrase? :(

      Delete
  12. I always find this a tough time of the year, too. Nicely observed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - now i don't feel so bad.

      Delete
  13. I really love your use of a glacier as a metaphor for aging, it sneaks up on you. I don't feel more than 30+ but then my body kicks me in the pants and I'm reminded. I'm not sure why, but this time of year brings out the gloominess in most of us. Take care, the gloomy season will pass!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, it appears a lot of us feel the same.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!