Pages

1.1.16

THE HOUSE ON FULTON - a 100 word story

THE HOUSE ON FULTON

The photograph had obviously been in the agent’s window for months, and normally we would never have considered Fulton, but if we didn’t find somewhere soon our buyer would drop out.

When we saw the shabby house on the run-down street my heart sank, but I said to Maria, “It’s got a garden for the kids - and it’s all I can afford.”
She gave me one of her looks and climbed the porch steps, but then she turned to the agent and said, “We’ll take it - it has a happy front door.”
 I will never understand women.
.......................................................................
Happy New Year to everyone!  This first post of 2016 is another entry to the Friday Fictioneers, prompted by the photograph from https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/  Follow the Blue Frog trail from Rochelle's blog to read what other bloggers have made of the picture.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Lizy,

    A happy door. I like that. They can always make home improvements, can't they?
    Happy New Year and shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a sun, a cup of tea and an almost-piano, it looked happy to me! Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. A garden and a happy door... maybe Fulton is on its way to improve--- Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria and her husband should be good for the place!

      Delete
  3. I love that she sees hope in the happy door!
    Happy New Year Lizy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first impressions of a new home are very important.

      Delete
  4. Space for a garden and entry through a happy door......these are the things we can build on! Happy I am sipping my coffee this early morn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a flat and I long for a garden!

      Delete
  5. Maria seems like a person who makes the most of any situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does, doesn't she - and she can feel vibes too.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I like that - and it perfectly encapsulates how a woman might see things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The search for real estate can be heartbreaking, and I feel for this couple, trying to balance head and heart decisions. I think they did the right thing here. Nice character dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the right tone ... a garden and a happy door, I've seen places worse! Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia - the feel of a home is vitally important.

      Delete
  9. Lovely story, Liz. This story seems so realistic, yet hopeful. Well done. Happy New Year to you and yours. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne - I thought I'd better start 2016 with a happy story

      Delete
  10. Recognizing when "it is what it is" can sometimes be teh key to happiness...

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!