Pages

14.1.16

BRAMBLE JELLY - a story in 100 words

Prompted by the photograph on Rochelle's blog  https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/ , this story is written for Friday Fictioneers. To read how other writers from around the world interpreted the picture, follow the Blue Frog trail from Rochelle's page.

I missed last week through illness but now I'm back and this week's photo is exactly like a flight of steps in my village! So here is my story - please leave a comment to let me know I'm not talking to myself!


BRAMBLE JELLY

The steps opposite the bakery led to the very best blackberries, but everyone knew they were reserved for Old Betty - her bramble jelly was reputed to cure everything from coughs to cancer.

Trudi, recently arrived in the village, scoffed, “Peasant nonsense!” and set out with visions of blackberry-and-apple crumble for dinner. She picked fast, the brambles parted easily to let her reach the plumpest berries, and her basket was soon full. Wearing a self-satisfied smirk she turned to leave, but there was no way out of the thicket.

The villagers agreed that Old Betty’s bramble jelly was even more effective that year.

20 comments:

  1. The folksy feel of this drew me in, as tempting as those berries. One should always be suspicious when brambles cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - nice one, Lizy - and glad to see you're back in fine writing fettle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - the best way to recover is to re-establish good old habits!

      Delete
  3. Dear Lizy,

    Happy to see you back at it. There's more to those brambles than jelly I'd say. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best-fertilised brambles in the area!

      Delete
  4. I may never feel the same way about bramble jelly again. Good one Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even if it's guaranteed to cure your cough?

      Delete
  5. He he - never mess with Betty's brambles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudi shouldn't scoff at country ways.

      Delete
  6. Ouch.. and for me there is magic in Blackberries... My name Björn means bear, and in Swedish Björnbär means blackberry... I feel very hungry for plump blackberry right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to wait for autumn, Mr Bear.

      Delete
  7. Carnivorous blackberries! Just goes to show that old wives often knew what they were talking about.

    Great story. Come see mine here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need the added nourishment to make a panacea.

      Delete
  8. obviously, trudi didn't prepare for any emergency. she should have brought a cellphone with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew these things were dangerous... never underestimate the Bramble connection. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Liz! Love this story. Part fairy tale, party cautionary tale, and great writing! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I was glad to find my writing berain still works!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!