Pages

2.4.13

BERT



As I blog through the Alphabet this month, I shall also be working on what I hope will be the final draft of my novel Helter-Skelter and I shall give you more snippets of Albie's story as we go along. Do stay with me!
BERT – is Albie’s best friend. When they meet for the first time in the school playground they soon discover they have more in common than their shared name. For a start, both of their heads have been shaved to get rid of nits, and when Bert begs one of Albie’s sandwiches he reveals that he too is no stranger to hunger. The bond forged that day in 1925 is to last them a lifetime.

13 comments:

  1. The harder times gone by or have they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a intriguing character description. Especially love the nits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah lovely. Will this book release in India? And thanks for stopping by on the blog! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave to have chosen such similar names. Does that contribute to their closeness I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from A-Z. Childhood is not always blissful as you point out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ros - they are both christened Albert, which is their first point of contact, but I think Albie and Bert are different enough to be okay. I hope so, anyway.
    Deepa - it would be great to think of my book reaching India!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The nits drew me in, and the snippet kept me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the language here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the sense that we're being teased by your theme - can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's cool you gave the characters the same name. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do something like that.

    KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice snippet. I'm liking the lasting bond of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Albie and Bert.. Like the sound of that. Definitely sound different enough to me to not get confusing.

    A lot of kids are attracted to others with the same name as them, I find. When I was at school, I once knew a Danny, Daniel and Dan - although Daniel was called his surname by everyone but the teachers - who were all friends, now that could get confusing :P

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Albert and Bertie are lucky to have you - and their friendship :)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!