Pages

17.6.12

POOR PUSSY

Bit of a panic here this morning.
I open the terrace door and Kika creeps in looking sorry for herself. Normally she shoots through to the kitchen to consume crunchies as if she has been starved for a week. Today she doesn't even go in there, but just jumps onto the back of the sofa for me to make a fuss of her - she has worked out that bending down to stroke her is difficult for me so she gets up where I can reach her.
"What's your problem?" I ask, feeling her chest to see if she's got a temperature. No reply - not even her usual miew (that's more feeble than a miaow). Could it be that she's missing the OH? She's been wandering round like a lost soul for the past two days looking for him.
Then I go outside and there's a patch of blood on her cushion. She's done it again - come through the railing too fast and banged her face.
The triangular spaces are quite big enough for her to get through but if she does it at speed there can be a clang!
A few months ago she actually knocked a tooth out doing this. I managed to persuade her to let me syringe water into the side of her mouth - dehydration can come on rapidly in this climate - and then I cooked a chicken breast and made a paste which also went in via syringe. Three days later she worked out how to eat sideways and all was well again.

On my morning constitutional I have a think - where the hell did I put that syringe? - but when I get back she meets me on the path, saying, "Where have you been? I'm starving." And the crunchies vanish in minutes. The little madam's been putting it on because the OH has abandoned her to my care. Now I think about it, she was two hours late demanding her tea yesterday - her food doesn't taste right if I put it down.


7 comments:

  1. They're not stupid are they, these cats!
    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have believed that cats were capable of pining until many years ago when our old dog died. Our elderly cat lost all interest in life. We ended up getting a puppy. The cat was rejuvenated. Sadly they've both now gone but we now have our two lovely cats.

    I hope you're not going to let OH know how indispensable he is. It doesn't do them any good you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats are always the same. Nice & happy when it suits them. Moggies are very self centred - in my experience. That said there is a tabby in Los Cristianos that has taken a shine to me - not yet sure what he (or she) wants. Maybe the tabby is jusy a decent cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss having a cat...but I don't miss the hair they leave behind. LOL! Glad she's okay and ready for her next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so like my kitty who lost her appetite the day I pulled out my suitcase. My husband fretted over her for a whole day before she finally decided eating was more important than worrying about my absence. She sure was happy to see me when I got home though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adore cats - they are intelligent and know how to run rings around us humans.
    Have loved all my foster cats here in Athens, Greece. Will be getting my own cat soon - an ex street cat and after all his shots and neutering, he's a sweetie.
    What would we do without animals eh? We can learn a lot about being human through them.
    Bex
    www.leavingcairo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your site via others I follow. I love cats too, their aloofness and independence and love for the hand that feeds them.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!